Sunday, February 28, 2010

From Russia With Disappointment

Good news everybody: BC House, Canada House, the Royal Canadian Mint Pavilion, and the zip-line are all staying open for a few more weeks! I'll finally be able to see them. Yay, rejoice!!

But one venue that is not being extended is Russia House, so I set my sights on seeing that one today. I went with my mom because she's working for the Olympics, so she has one of those passes that allows you to bypass the lines. I wore the staff card she gave me, as well as the flannel shell part of her orange and black 2010 Vancouver Transit jacket so that I would look like a full-fledged employee. At first the security guy wouldn't let me in, but my mom, who had been easily admitted, came back and told the guy I worked for the transit company, and when he realized we were together, he let me through.

Well, let me tell you this: if you missed Russia House, good on you. It's over-rated and the staff are incredibly RUDE. Nothing is in English so it's really easy to start going through something -- a doorway, the wrong staircase, a VIP lounge -- thinking it's a part of the venue and then have someone put their arm out in front of you and say in a condescending tone: "Sorry, not open to the public."

And they ran out of freebies! What kind of supposedly well-planned organization allows that to happen?! I went over to this desk where earlier a huge line of people had been to get Russia House souvenirs and even before I opened my mouth to ask if I could get a pin, the lady behind the desk snapped, "NOTHING LEFT. ALL GONE." A tiny line gathered at the desk a few minutes later and that same lady completely ignored everyone waiting, checking her email while the people waited expectantly.

There were a few things to see, like performers playing traditional Russian instruments, and a largescale model of the Sochi Olympics skiing hills and sports venues was set up so visitors could get a preview of the next Winter Games, but that was about it. Not much for such a big space.


The only redeeming thing about Russia House was the gift shop, which, I must admit, sells the best Olympic merchandise. And I was able to get a Sochi 2014 pin near the exit.


Anyway, I can't wait to have Science World back.


We left Russia House and walked along the sea wall to the other venues. People have balanced the rocks there into beautiful little Inukshuks. There's got to be thousands of them stretching along the sea wall. Some of them are gravitational feats. I hope they keep them after the Olympics.



Rock on!

-Bonnie

No comments:

Post a Comment