Saturday, February 20, 2010

Pavilions, pavilions, and more pavilions

Thursday after my volunteer shift at the Vancouver Aquarium (by the way, admission prices are 50% if you get there between 8 and 9:00 am!) I decided to check out Saxony House, which is inside the Vancouver Rowing Club. There wasn't anything there for me, but if you are into German music, nine-dollar traditional German food, and lots of German beer, I suggest you check it out.

Later that day, after work, I walked down to the area where Science World is, or as I like to call it: Pavilion Place. I really wanted to see Russia House, and being misled by the non-existent line-up, I thought it was the perfect time to go and avoid the crowds. Unfortunately, Russia House has terrible hours: it closes at five. I got there at 7:30. I could see the Cheburashkas in the gift shop window, stared at them longingly until I felt the security guards watching me like I was going to break in so I headed for the other pavilions.

A short walk down are three pavilions all together: Saskatchewan, Québec, and Ontario. because it was nighttime, concerts were playing and people were crowded around big outdoor screens watching the hockey game between Team Canada and Switzerland. I went into the Saskatchewan pavilion first, which is housed inside a giant, inflatable volley ball with images projected onto it. It wasn't crowded, and next to Northern House, I think it's one of the best pavilions. I'm starting to notice a pattern here: all the good houses are usually deserted because they feature provinces that everybody thinks are uninteresting. Well, let me be the first to debunk that myth by saying the Saskatchewan pavilion was awesome. You can get a free picture taken of yourself in front of a Saskatchewan landscape, and once it's taken they give you a bar code and URL where you can obtain your image. I chose a wheat field:


Afterwards, I went into what I believe was Québec House, but there was nothing there except a French band and the stench of beer in the air. I'll try again another time because I was under the impression that there would be exhibits and all that fun, touristy stuff. Ontario House was insanely busy so I didn't even bother.

And that's what I did this week. Oh, I haven't been to Atlantic House yet, but my crazy-awesome, Maritime grandmother waited two hours in line just to see it, and she says they're giving away free samples of lobster, clams, fish, crab, basically every Maritime dish, so if you like sea food, you gotta go. She also told me she's been bullshitting to volunteers in each pavilion in order to get pins, and it's worked so far: she's collected three.

Check 'ya later!

-Bonnie

No comments:

Post a Comment