Sunday, February 28, 2010

Olympic Experience: An Overview



What an amazing two weeks. I'm so glad that I had the opportunity to experience the Olympics, and the atmosphere, liveliness, and having so many people come to enjoy the games really brightened up my February. Everything that happened, all the experiences I've had, were so much more than I expected and I had such a great time. I remember way back in 2004 going to the unveiling of the Olympic logo; getting one of the earliest Vancouver 2010 shirts; seeing the mascots for the first time in 2008. And now, in the blink of an eye, it's all finished, but the memories will last forever.


Olympic Goals

Of my Olympic goals I sadly only accomplished 2 1/2 of them. So far. I saw most of the pavilions and lucky for me, some of the more popular ones are sticking around for the Paralympic Games. Hopefully then the crowds will be thinner, the lines shorter.

Unfortunately, I never did take my picture with the mascots. I saw them a hell of a lot more before the the Games than during. It's funny because when I was a mall elf two Christmases ago, I remember they were dancing around in the mall and we had to compete with them for attention. Now that I think about it, you know what would've been cool? A Mascot Pavilion! Okay, next time, next time.

There's still a chance that the Bay will put all of its Olympic merchandise on sale and I really hope they do. I'm holding out for the 70% off tags because there's a Quatchi, Sumi, Miga, Mukmuk, and three Cheburashkas waitin' for me.


Favorite Pavilions

There were a lot of great pavilions, and some bad ones, some overrated ones. If you went to all or none, doesn't matter because now you can relive the excitement of the Games with this list I compiled of my TOP 5 favorite pavilions, in terms of exhibits and showcasing:

5. Four Hosts First Nations Pavilion

Nine-minute movie that highlighted and reflected on the Native groups of Canada. The message of the film -- "We Are Here" -- was sincere and meaningful.


4. Ontario House

4D Ontario experience, mind-control station, and restaurant and bar. There were also screens that played footage of lavish festivals, plays, events, and celebrations held in Ontario. The pavilion was a great showcase for a very proud and culturally diverse province.


3. Happiness House

Coca Cola really puts on a good show. Music, history, awesome promotional merchandise, enthusiastic staff, and interactive exhibits made this pavilion the absolute place to be.


2. Atlantic Canada House

Food, music, friendliness. Atlantic Canada in three words. Some of Canada's best musicians made themselves available to perform at the Granville Island venue, free to the public; that just shows their love for their Atlantic heritage. And guests to the pavilion could walk away not just with free sea food, but Atlantic clappers, too! A very influential pavilion.


1. Northern House

Northern House represents Canada's three territories, the most underrated and unexplored part of Canada. All the staff are proud residents of the territories and more than eager to share their stories of life in the Great White North with curious guests. Interactive exhibits, live performances, and informational displays allowed people the chance to learn the culture of the Inuit, and understand how rugged life is in the territories.

Northern House will be open until April 17.


The Ouch Victory

Ecck, I had to watch The Patriot just to see the USA win something. I'll be sportsman-like about it and wish y'all congratulations on the ga..ga..*sigh*...gold.


Goodnight and Merry March!

-Bonnie

No comments:

Post a Comment