Monday, February 15, 2010

Free to roam, as long as it's free

In consideration of convenience, I checked out a few of the Granville Island pavilions today, which are probably the least busy Olympic-related venues in Vancouver. And there's a reason for that. Francophone House feels like a job fair: it’s just booths set up in the False Creek Community Centre gymnasium, with lots of pamphlets and brochures. No exhibits or anything interactive. The House of Switzerland was equally as uninteresting: for eight bucks you can get melted cheese on a slice of bread and a sausage. Quite the rip-off, especially since they were giving away the cheese melts for FREE on the opening day.

I didn’t go to Atlantic House because the line-up was practically the length of the Island, but I hear it’s amazing, with live concerts and different Maritime meal samplers every day. One of the highlight performances at Atlantic House a few nights ago was Ashley MacIsaac, and if you’re not familiar with him — and didn’t see him play during the opening ceremony — before you look him up on Wikipedia, watch this video of him on Late Night with Conan O’Brien to really get a sense of why he’s known as Canada’s bad boy:


I also saw the cauldron at Canada Place, which was spectacular, except for the five layers of reinforced fencing separating visitors from it, but I hear that’s going to be removed soon. Oh, rumor has it that a new souvenir of the cauldron has been release, so I'll be sure to check that one out. On the way back, I went to Northern House, which, I have to say, is the best, most interactive pavilion in Vancouver. It’s not that busy, either, because everybody’s so pre-occupied with the parties going on at Irish House and the Coke pavilion. A band was playing at Northern House, and they have this video maker where you can record a message while video footage of the Territories rolls behind you. Be warned, though: if you decide to record a video, you have 20 seconds of talking, which can be quite a long time for somebody who just walked off the street and wasn’t expecting to be filmed on camera. Anyway, it was loads of fun and I have the video I made below to prove it:

Bonnie's Olympic Hello!

But today was not all warm, Olympic memories. I found USA House. Bad news: it's not open to the public. The place is hidden inside a condominium showroom; the windows covered in ornate, full-length privacy stickers. I was able to get through the front door, but three security guards and a secretary blocked the rest of the way. Just over their heads I could see walls and walls of Team USA apparel. I was informed that the store is only for members of Team USA and their family and friends. A moment of silence please.







Since my Olympic goal was such a complete letdown, I’ve decided to compile a new list of goals that hopefully won’t be so disappointing. In no particular order they are:

  • Get one of those light-up Coca Cola bottles

  • Get my picture taken with Quatchi, Sumi, Miga, and Mukmuk

  • See the rest of the pavilions

  • Go to Russia House and get at least one Cheburashka

  • Take a ride on the zip line

  • Wait and see if the 2010 merchandise goes on sale after the games, and then BUY MASCOT STUFFIES!!!!



See you at the free stuff!

-Bonnie

1 comment:

  1. Lol, love your message Bonnie, and thanks for the Kilt flash!

    ReplyDelete