Monday, February 15, 2010

The search for USA House



On Friday, like some thousand or so other people, I decided to go check out the opening of the pavilions in and around Downtown Vancouver. But unlike everybody else who wanted to see everything, I was on a quest for one thing in particular. I was looking for USA House. I had long ago assumed that there would be one; they have pavilions for all the other countries — even the ones with one or two athletes — and the USA is not only Canada’s neighbour, but it has the second-most participating athletes. My parents said “no chance,” but in my zeal to support Team USA, I decided to embark on a quest to prove the pavilion’s existence and buy a really awesome team jacket.

There had been some rumours about USA House swirling around in the pre-Olympic air regarding its status. Many speculated that it wouldn’t be open to the public or feature any interactive exhibits. Others semi-confirmed that it would feature a team USA store. I really didn’t care, as long as I found it, but then came another problem: where in Vancouver was USA House located? Conflicting venue guides listed it as being on the corner of Seymour and Nelson, mere steps from Irish House; somewhere on Abbott, close to the new Woodwards building; and across from Alberta House. I woke up early on the opening day of the Olympics and raced downtown in my Doc Martin boots, trying out the Seymour/Nelson angle first. The area was practically deserted; Irish House was locked up, hung over from the night of partying before and getting ready for the roaring celebration that would surely follow the opening ceremony. I tried all four corners of that junction and found nothing. Saddened, but not dissuaded, I decided to go up to Robson Square and see if I could find someone with relevant information as to its whereabouts.

Robson Square was teeming with people who had just come from watching the torch pass by on Georgia. Torchbearers were wandering around, taking pictures with ecstatic Canadians. The line-up for the two-second zip-line was four hours long, so I bypassed it and made my way through the crowds to the Hotel Vancouver. Inside, I went immediately to the concierge, whose desk happened to be in the central gathering place for the Olympic Athletes. I mostly saw Team Russia walking around in there ornately-patterned blue and red jackets, but as I was asking the concierge for directions, a woman from Team USA came up beside me. I was too nervous to say anything, but I’m guessing she was on the woman’s hockey team. Anyway, the concierge had no idea, but he did say that the 5th floor of the Bay was selling merchandise for all the teams, so I made that the next stop on my quest.

The Bay is so busy right now that the elevators will not stop on the first floor for shopper asphyxiation and claustrophobia reasons. The fifth floor was less like a mob, so I walked easily through all the different countries. Russia has the best stuff, probably because they have the next Olympic Games. They have these adorable mascot stuffies that look like Ferbies with orange faces and they come in three colors: red, white, and blue. I almost bought two of them but decided against it at the last possible moment. I was a little disappointed with the Team USA apparel, which was quite limited and nothing special, and exorbitantly priced. All the more reason there was for me to find the actual USA House.

Next up was the Alberta House location. The only other venues around that area were the fly-by-night ticket-scalping stores that had opened up quickly in empty lots. By this time, my ankles were throbbing with blisters: Doc boots are not a good idea for long, desperate journeys. Now finally feeling the possibility of defeat, I limped to the Woodwards location, didn’t find anything, and caught a bus home without seeing or doing anything Olympic-related (I missed all the torch relays by mere minutes and I had gotten downtown way before any of the venues opened up). In fact, the only thing I have to show for Friday is the painful blood blister on my right ankle.
I’ve posted a question on Yahoo Answers begging for the location. Someone replied saying USA House is in a basement at Seymour/Nelson. Basement of what? Irish House? It better not be in the Penthouse Strip Club, or I’m gonna be big-time pissed. Another reply mentioned a rumour that USA House is now open to the public.

I don’t know what to believe, except this: USA House must exist. My Olympic goal is to FIND THE VENUE, BUY A JACKET, AND SUPPORT MY TEAM!

And if I don’t find it, I mean it won’t be the end of the world ... I won’t put up missing posters ... or drive around calling out its name ... or stay up all night making phone calls ... or get a search party together ... or walk the streets for the entire two weeks looking in every tent and every shop ... Wondering, always wondering ...

No comments:

Post a Comment