Saturday, February 27, 2010

My Favorite Mascots: a Countdown Part 1

The Olympics are almost over, and even more devastating than USA House not being open to the public, and the zip-line wait being 7 hours long, are the absentee mascots!!! They literally have not been anywhere near the city since the opening ceremonies. I went searching for them awhile ago and finally found out where they've been this whole time: skating in Robson Square! That's right, there's an actual free ice show called Mascots on Ice. I got a good view up front, and while there weren't many photo opportunities with the mascots, I managed to snap a few pics. I even got to high-five Quatchi! But better than photos, I was able to film the entire ice show. I was saving uploading it until I could accompany the film with a nice shot of myself with Quatchi and the gang but since time's a'tickin', I thought: what the hell. Give 'em the vid.

WARNING: This is probably one of the funniest things I have ever seen. Never before have I witnessed such professional choreography, such seriousness in art, and people skating so passionately alongside furry animals. Watch and enjoy. This performance will make you believe in the Olympic spirit, or at least make you believe it's absolutely crazy.



To fill the void that has been left by the mascots' absence (and after I'd watched the video above more than a dozen times), I looked up past Olympic mascots, and some of them are amazing! Now, because most of the mascots were before my time, my collective memory does not involved them. In fact, my earliest Olympic memory involves my mom watching the '94 Winter Games and me yelling at her to turn it off so I could watch cartoons. I spent all of last night researching them and now I can safely say that I am a mascot authority. And what better way to demonstrate this trivial knowledge than with a TOP TEN LIST!!! Without further ado, here is the first part, featuring the first five in my list of favorite Olympic mascots, past and present:


10. Snowman

Games: Winter, Innsbruck, 1976

About: Sporting only two big, blue eyes, a short carrot nose, and a Tyrolean hat, the Innsbruck Snowman was a simple mascot, symbolizing exactly that: the simplicity of the Games.

Why I like him: A snowball usually makes it into the finals of Winter Games mascot-choosing contests, but is always outdone by a cuter, more original and marketable anthropomorphic animal. Except in the case of Innsbruck`s Snowman. The Snowman won over hearts with his relatable and recognizable simplicity; who doesn`t remember building a snowman in the backyard as a kid?


9. Amik

Games: Summer, Montreal, 1976

About: As a beaver, Amik represented the national animal of Canada, and his name, Algonquin for "beaver," reflected the Algonquin natives of Quebec, where the games were hosted.

Why I like it: Amik's purpose of symbolizing the hard work involved in the Games was straight-forward and simplistic. Unlike today's mascots, Amik's image was not complicated by mass-produced merchandise and money-grubbing marketing schemes. In his simplicity and message of hard work, he encompassed everybody involved in the Games, from the fans to the athletes.


8. Syd and Ollie

Games: Summer, Sydney, 2000

About: Ollie, Syd and Millie, designed by Matthew Hattan, were three native Australian animals that represented the image and culture of Australia perfectly. Ollie the kookaburra epitomized the Olympic spirit of generosity; Syd the platypus represented the environment and culture of Australia; and Millie the echidna represented the beginning of the twenty-first century, and the exciting technological breakthroughs that began in the decade.

Why I like them: Not only do I find Ollie and Syd absolutely adorable, but I believe that they were chosen wisely as mascots and that their intended messages were well thought-out. As a bird, Ollie depicted freedom, excitement, and soaring to new heights: absolutely what the Olympic spirit is all about.

Syd represented one of the oddest, most perplexing and evolutionarily-phenomenal creatures on the planet, and as a platypus, he illustrate to the world just how amazing and wonderful nature can be. His underlying message was for us to respect the environment so that we can better understand it.

The reason I didn't include Millie with the other two is not because she isn't cute (she very much so is!), but because she symbolized the 2000s (or the "Double-Os" as i like to call them) and is described on the VANOC website as being "a techno-whiz and information guru, with all the facts and figures at her fingertips." Well, we all know how much I hate technology and this decade that came after the '90s.

Syd and Ollie certainly captured the environmentally-conscious and spirited character of Australia, whereas Millie's role was to draw the masses in with her lure of technology. Like a CGI movie. *Shudders*


7. Misha

Games: Summer, Moscow, 1980

About: Misha the Russian bear was designed by Victor Chizikov, renowned children’s book illustrator. Misha was the first Olympic mascot to achieve international success, and was mass-marketed with his own show, books, stuffed animals, and toys.

Why I like him: Misha wasn’t just at the Games to provide the money-making cute factor; he was emotionally invested in the Games, and made us emotionally invested, too, as can be seen in this video of Misha at the closing ceremonies, releasing hundred of balloons into the air, then giving a tearful goodbye:



6. Copper and Coal

Games: Winter, Salt Lake City, 2002

About: The Salt Lake Winter Games mascots were the animal interpretation of the Olympic motto "Citius, Altius Fortius" (Faster, Higher, Stronger), their names representing Utah`s most prominent industries. Powder the snowshoe hare symbolized ‘Faster’, as well as Utah’s snow sports culture; Copper the coyote symbolized ‘Higher’ and Utah’s copper industry; and Coal the American black bear symbolized ‘Stronger’ and Utah’s coal industry.

Why I like them: Look at how happy these guys are! They were all about the fun and good times, supporting their team and celebrating the Games. No other mascot can compare with the sheer spirit of these guys. The reason I chose Coal and Copper out of the Salt Lake City trio was because I found their characters to be the most original; Powder looks a little too similar to the Trixx rabbit to me. An intriguing and appealing feature of the mascots was the Native myth back stories of all three of them, adding yet another tie to the culture and heritage of Utah.


Until tomorrow!

-Bonnie

No comments:

Post a Comment